Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What Makes it Good?

How often do you evaluate the movies you see? About the movie as a whole, or the plot, the characters, the acting, the graphics, the music? On these topics I imagine we analyze them both conciously and subconciously throughout the experience as well as right afterwards. We talk of how the parts came together to create the whole, about the merits of this actor/actress, how they brought out their character. How the movie was too slow in this part or how everything blended together perfectly. Perhaps we discuss the pros and cons of sequels, either to eagerly anticipate the next installment or shake our heads and wonder why they're wasting their money when they should have spent it making this one better first.

Though I've never studied film-making, acting, or any such portion of the movie industry, I invite myself in as a movie lover. Without those such as myself there would be no blockbusters, no midnight releases, no box office top ten lists. There would be no thought of a sequel, for who would have gone to see the first? I've never spent time and money listening to critics and professionals tell me how to appreciate their version of a "good movie" or cast disdain on their version of a "bad movie" simply because I don't care to let others decide what makes me happy. What has never occured to me before this, however, is why they make me happy.

Our family owns hundreds of movies. Literally. VHS, DVD, BluRay, Digital. I myself own 40 or 50 (pithy in comparison, I know, but as I still live more or less at home, why bother spending my money on those I know my family will buy?). My favorite movies include Star Trek, The Little Mermaid, Cinderella Man, and The Lord of the Rings to name just a few. I think the ones I love most draw on some aspect of my passion, my romanticism, my perception of my identity, to allow me to be drawn in, to relate to the characters and story and appreciate the work that went into them. Does this make them "good"? Perhaps, perhaps not. Who am I to decide for anyone but myself?

Tonight I saw a movie that truly blew all other movies I've seen this year completely out of the water. And lets face it, there have been quite a few incredible movies this year: Julie and Julia, Up, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Star Trek (I've watched my copy alone over 10 times), Avatar, Sherlock Holmes, Terminator Salvation, and Transformers 2 just to name a very few. I appreciated many of these for their plots, their music, their casts, their special effects, their expansion of their genres. So what is it about this movie that rises above all these others? Simple. It not only drew me into the story, the lives of those portrayed (brilliantly, it must be said), but gave me much in return. What is the movie I've taken four paragraphs to get to? Invictus.

It's not often that I walk out of a movie theater feeling truly better than when I entered. It's even more rare when I walk out with more self-esteem. I don't know the last time, if ever, that I walked out of a movie with a positive sense of purpose to truly improve, progress, challenge myself to raise the bar because the standards I only subconciously set for myself are proven to be lower than what I know I can truly attain in this my life.

If you want special effects, go see Avatar, you won't be disappointed. If you want a good, solid, fast-paced sci-fi, by all means watch Star Trek. If you want a wonderfully diverse family-friendly flick, I highly recommend The Princess and the Frog. If you want to learn more of the world, see Invictus. If you want to learn more of how public opinion shapes politics, and how politicians can shape public perception see Invictus. If you want to see Morgan Freeman in a role that truly brings out his genius, see Invictus. Perhaps most of all, though, if you want to learn more about yourself, about what draws on your heart and intellect both, about the effect that one person can have on the lives of many others no matter who they are, please, see Invictus. While I can't speak for anyone else, I will tell you this: I walked into that theater alone and a bit lonely, and walked out feeling loved.

No comments: