Saturday, December 26, 2009

December-Out like a...frisky puppy!

Well, maybe not a frisky puppy, but not really a lamb either :) The annual Petty Christmas Party was held in Draper on Sunday and was fun. We talked, we ate, and we did a gift exchange. Fortunately Santa Claus had other engagements and didn't make an appearance this year (which was fine with all of us, as the 5 great-grandchildren in attendance were too young and the rest of us too old).

I actually took a Christmas vacation this year-three days, mostly to myself or with family (as Christmas vacations should be spent). On Wednesday I slept in a bit, went to physical therapy, and spent the rest of the day doing laundry, some cleaning, and other odds and ends that I can't really remember but I'm sure I enjoyed. Christmas Eve found me sleeping in again (yay sleep!) and then going downtown with Mom, Michael, Jane and Morgan to DG, where some of us played, and one of us did all of her Christmas shopping (it was pay day, and fortunately only took me an hour) and working (a few things cropped up while I was there). Lisa and Dalton came up too and we all went to lunch together, after which I made another stop back at work before going home, where I spent some time watching White Christmas and wrapping presents.

That night was the Phillips Christmas Party, this time hosted at our house. We ate, watched the three dogs tumble and play, and watched the younger kids open presents from Grandma and Grandpa Phillips. Afterwards those who were spending the night got on our new pajamas courtesy the Pajama Fairy (thanks Mom!). Laura and Chris then joined me in my appartment where they watched White Christmas and wrapped their family's presents while I did my physical therapy exercises, which got rid of a headache I'd been fighting all day. Most of the family started watching our annual movie It's a Wonderful Life, though Chris, Laura and I stayed in my place to finish watching White Christmas (it was a White Christmas marathon on AMC, if you were wondering :)). I fell asleep pretty quickly that night, even before they were done playing Santa Claus--there were three or four people right outside my open bedroom door.

We all got up at about 7:00 Christmas morning, where we opened the presents we had received, and then watched Jane open her presents. It took a while, as she totally loved the second or third present--a set of toy dishes. She wasn't at all interested in opening any more until she was told she could play with the dishes afterward. We also called a few people and caroled-Chase (Amy's fiance), Lisa (the only one who answered), and Michael (Chris's brother, who didn't answer and had no idea who was calling :)). Mom made a delicious breakfast, after which I took a short nap and then went to the movies with Amy, Laura and Chris. We saw Sherlock Holmes-what a great movie!!-and then returned home where Laura was a mom again and I spent most of the rest of the day watching Star Trek Voyager (finally on Season 7, yay!) on a new LCD TV. Cool, eh? Ok so it's a 15" LCD, but still and LCD :)

I went to work this morning planning on it being busy but expecting it to be just a regular Saturday for the most part. Fortunately for me (though unfortunately for the museum) it was much like a normal Saturday, though we had a few busy waves come through. I took advantage of our increased staff discount to purchase a Perplexus, a 3D maze game that we got in earlier this week and have already sold most of them. I also brought home some Kapla blocks- a set of blocks that are all equal in size. While it might sound boring, they're actually a lot of fun. You can build almost anything you put your mind to.

Overall I've quite thoroughly enjoyed this Christmas season. I'm looking forward to much book shopping in the near future (I got a total $75 in gift cards to Barnes and Noble) and using my new knives and my other presents. Merry Christmas!

No comments: