Tuesday, December 1, 2009

And the plot thickens...

I saw a neurologist today. The first time in my life I've seen one, which is kindof odd I suppose when for over a decade I've been getting different treatments for migraines. I was actually rather impressed. Dr. Evan Black took detailed notes and also answered my questions without being at all condescending, something he shares with my cardiologist and my primary care physician. I've totally lucked out. I did get the impression though that it's a bit of a sore spot between neurology and cardiology on whether or not PFO closures help migraines.

He told me to quite caffeine and gave me three prescriptions, one for when I get migraines (the copay alone on that one is $95, I'm holding off for now...), one for a preventative-four pills a night of a med usually used for seizures, and one for (drum roll please) physical therapy. That's a first. I've had variations of the first, I've tried a preventative with mixed results, but never have I been refered for physical therapy. I'm certainly hopeful, many of my migraines start because of the tension in my neck. The only downside to it, at the moment, is that my first apointment at TOSH is Monday...morning...at 6:30 AM. Oh joy ;)

I am always curious though about the range of medications I've been prescribed in the past. My first preventative was an anti-depressant. One doctor tried giving me regular migraine meds, followed by a heart medicine, then a different prescription for seizures. Guess we'll see how this latest combination works out :)

No comments: