Friday, October 2, 2009

Boys Named after Prisons...or is it vice versa?

Actually, it's the boy's ancestors that have prisons named after them, just as he was also named after them. But more of that later. (To those familiar with the series, insert internal chuckle here).

It's been quite the week. Mike has been out of the office on a "stay-cation", leaving me to cover both my usual duties and pick up any slack. Frankly, some things have gone undone, but I'd like to think that we've managed quite well, thank you very much. I am confessedly tired, but on one line of thought I haven't had a break this week (I don't count my day off, as I spent it in bed with a migraine and then only got about half an hour to an hour of not so restful sleep before working a 9.5 hour day). Ah well. I must admit somewhat selfishly that I have enjoyed having the office largely to myself. It definitely makes for a more focused work environment. At least when I had the chance to use it.

There are two rather pointed events this week, though, one definitely positive, one part of an ongoing process. As to the latter, I had my follow-up appointment at the Heart and Lung Institute today. Not as informative as I would have liked it to be, as I met with a PA instead of the Dr. and he hadn't been able to get all the information beforehand. I do however have a referral to get an MRI done of my brain. As mentioned before, PFO's increase the likelihood of strokes. People can actually have strokes without knowing it. Some studies are linking migraines to brain lesions. I have also heard of those whose migraines have actually caused brain damage. Considering the incredible physical strain I've experienced in my own migraines, I suppose I'm not particularly surprised. I don't know that I'll have had any such issues, but considering I was pretty sure I didn't have a hole my heart I think I'll just wait for the results.

On a happier note, the former event of the week involves a very good author, Brandon Sanderson, releasing the third book of a rather hilarious series: The Alcatraz books. Alcatraz vs. the Knights of Crystallia was released yesterday. I was able to make it to the bookstore to pick it up before returning home to crash for the night an hour later. While sad that I couldn't keep myself awake long enough to finish it, it certainly put a smile on my face as I read it during lunch (before my dr appt), during dinner (on break after being called back into work), and then after I got home, where I read the final two-thirds in approximately 2 to 3 hours. Not the longest book, but definitely a worthy addition to the collection!! Alcatraz is a boy raised here in the United States, deep within the "Hushlands," the Evil Librarian-controlled world that we know of. What we don't know about are the Free Lands of Nalhalla, Mokia, and one or two others that I confess due to the late hour I've forgotten. Because the Librarian cults are evil, they name famous prisons after freelander leaders, and majestic mountains after themselves. Alcatraz, one of the most infamous prisons ever, is named after our young hero's ancestor, Alcatraz the First, a notoriously powerful leader who's "Talent" was breaking things. He even broke his people's language, disguising their most powerful secrets for generations. He also broke time, leaving his tomb suspended and protected from the ravages of time in the heart of the Library of Alexandria.

On a final note, I've created another blog. Why? Because I was in the mood. There are also things that for whatever reason I've felt self-concious posting on this one. Hence, for a much more random strain of my thoughts (perhaps more closely reflecting the reality of my personal habits of flickering from serious or mundane to rather silly and off-the-wall) feel free to check out the new blog at amusedchameleon.blogspot.com.

No comments: