Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Life Lessons

I have a hole in my heart. Am I scared? Not particularly, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't at least nervous about it. Before you start worrying, though, let me explain the nature of said hole (bear in mind that I'm not a medical professional!).

It's called a Patent Foramen Ovale. Before we are born, there is an opening between the left and right sides of the heart, as we get our oxygen from our mothers. After birth, the opening seals, so that blood will pass from the body, through the right side to the lungs, back through the left side and to the rest of the body. In one out of four people (yes, an entire 25% of the world's population), said hole remains open, to some degree or another. This allows some blood to pass from the right atrium to the left without getting filtered by the lungs and getting oxygenated. The majority of people never experience adverse effects from the PFO (aka right to left shunt), and don't even know they have it.

In some, however, there are side effects. Shortness of breath, exhaustion in general, increase risk of ischemic stroke (due to blood clots possibly passing from right to left without getting filtered out by the lungs), and-the reason I was tested in the first place-migraines. I've read that there are a few treatment options, which I'm sure I'll learn more of in my follow-up appointment next Friday. The one I've read most about is called a transcatheter closure (I think...I only saw that name one place, it probably goes by one or two others as well). A device is inserted into the hole, which fans out and seals it from both sides of the heart chambers. Over time natural tissue grows over the patch. This keeps the blood flowing into the lungs, where it's supposed to go.

There is much debate over the effectiveness in the procedure in treating migraines. For some the migraines increase. In others, however, the migraines are decreased or even stop all together. I confess some hope that by having this procedure performed I could stop getting so many headaches. I don't know if my cardiologist will recommend it, or if he did that my insurance would pay for it, so I'm not planning anything until after I meet with him on Friday.

For now I bear in mind that I've had migraines all my life (mom says they started around when I was 2 years old). I've lived with them for over 2 decades, and will live with them longer if need be. I have the same heart now that I've always had, and it functions the way it's supposed to as far as exhibiting the behaviors of a healthy heart (I know this from the stress echo last Thursday, not to mention that I haven't dropped dead yet, thank you very much). I'm not going to die anytime soon, so I plan to keep on living ;). I do however appreciate a new take on some things, a new point of view. Not in everything, not yet, but then no change occurs over night. It comes in small things, sometimes a matter of reflection, other times catching me by surprise.

Whatever happens, there are lessons I am learning from this experience. Good lessons that I can use throughout my life. And for that, I am grateful.

No comments: