Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Babies, Books and Brains

It's been an eventful three days. You've already read about Uncle Darren's departure, so I'll forge ahead with yesterday's big occasion: Megan Leigh Wampler was born at 4:02 pm, weighing 7 lbs 2 oz, 19 1/2 inches long. She's such a cutie!!


While the newest addition to the Wampler clan adjusts to 'life on the outside', her sister Jane is visiting us here in Salt Lake for a while. Here's a pic of some quality time with her and my brother Michael, who is most certainly one of Jane's favorite people:


And so on from Babies to Books: I swung by Barnes and Noble yesterday to pick up a highly anticipated book: The Squire's Quest by Gerald Morris. I've been reading the series for a few years now, and this most recent addition features the original main character, Terence, who at the beginning of the series becomes squire to Sir Gawain, named a knight in King Arthur's court early in the book. Characters throughout the series include Terence, Sir Gawain, Sir Tor, King Arthur (of course), Sir Kai, Sir Bedivere, Sir Dinadan, Sir Lancelot, Tristan and Iseult, Sir Palomides, and soo many more classic characters of Arthurian legend. Finding it hard to go to sleep last night, I ended up finishing the book in the wee hours of the morning.

Now along to Brains--as to why I found sleep slow to arrive (despite the fact I was really truly yawningly tired early in the evening), on Monday I had scheduled my MRI for today at noon. I had to convince myself that reading Harry's Future really wouldn't prepare me for the MRI and hauled myself out the door ten minutes before my appointment. Three minutes later I walked into the office and filled out the paperwork. Fortunately I didn't have to wear a gown for the MRI, and so was able to remain comfortable in my own clothing for the test. I was also able to listen to the radio during the test, though I think they need to get Bose to take a look at quality headphones that wouldn't interfere with the imaging. I was slid into the snug machine after being told to remain completely still, which oddly enough wasn't that difficult. The headphones fit comfortably and helped keep my head stable in the machine. I didn't care for the contraption they put over my head and snug over my chest, but the air was well circulated so I didn't end up feeling particularly claustrophobic once I'd gotten used to the noises of the machine itself. I was a bit dizzy and fuzzy afterwards, but made it home safely. I'm glad I have the day off to just sit back and do whatever the heck I want to do :)

I'm not sure how long it'll take before I get the results. They'll send them to my cardiologist once the radiologist has a chance to look them over, at which point I'll also be able to request a copy of the results. I'm a little nervous of the unknown, but at the same time until something is known I'm trying not to stress about it. Time, and the results, will tell. Again, until then, there are lessons I am learning in this process, and I know that I will be able to use whatever information I gain now in the future, for any number of experiences to come.

UPDATE: I'll be meeting with the cardiologist for the follow up next Thursday afternoon.

No comments: