Sunday, July 18, 2010

While strolling through the park one day...

I took a walk today. I took a lot of walks last summer and into the fall a bit. I can't remember now why I stopped. Work has become steadily more time-consuming over the last year, each landmark completed leading into something even more challenging. I had hoped for a respite after Inventory but now find myself with even less time, and even more stress, than ever before. I remembered a conversation I'd had with my dad a while ago when he mentioned how much good taking walks had done for me, got on my shoes, grabbed a Powerade Zero and headed out the door.

The first half of the walk was very relaxing and went very well. I enjoyed the neighborhood, imagining what I would write in this blog about the profound revelations I had uncovered. The second half of the walk (in almost one hundred degree sun) was spent less on fantasizing and more on savoring shade and focusing on making it the last few blocks back home, dreaming about dark apartments, cold Powerade Zero, and a swamp cooler. I made it in the door, spoke very very briefly with my mom, greeted Michael and my dad and then dashed into my apartment, cranked up the swamp cooler, and caught my breath. My heart finally stopped racing and I was able to stretch out a bit and do my neck physical therapy exercises.

Overall I've relished the time not spent thinking about work. I realized, once again having forgot this point over the last six months or so, that I am totally replaceable at work. There is nothing I do that could not be figured out by someone else, or perhaps multiple someone else's, over a relatively short amount of time. While I do not beleive that this renders my contributions and hard work any less valuable, it helped me relax and regain a healthier perspective on what I do.

No comments: