Thursday, November 12, 2009

Crazy? Plenty of evidence for it...

I spent last night on my couch. Again. Sigh.

I'm not the best at keeping things clean. Since moving to this back apartment, though, I've never let it get too out of hand, but if you were to walk in at any given moment you would invariably find something that has gone undone, most typically the dishes. For a week or so, though, I've had clean laundry waiting to be put away. Not to be deterred from my leisure in order to do it, however, it spent some time migrating back and forth from the bed to the couch and back again. If I was too tired to move it from the bed I would just sleep on the couch. While I do have a comfortable couch, my neck is paying the price.

A week or so I got an email announcement for my ward's book club, for which there wasn't yet a meeting place set up. Having been in charge of the book club before and wanting to help (and knowing I'd be much more likely to attend if it was at my place), I emailed the new leader and offered to host. It was on a Wednesday, and I anticipated having the entire day beforehand to get my home cleaned up and ready.

A few days later, my boss and I were discussing the schedule. All of his meetings had been moved from Monday and Wednesday to Thursdays, one of his days off. Having experience in scheduling, I knew the thing that made the most sense was for us to switch days off (which he had already discussed with his boss, but I made the suggestion before he could ask :)). It wasn't until later that I realized that this would put a damper on my plans for book club. I wouldn't get home until a few minutes before it was scheduled to start. Oh dear. I started cleaning a bit on Sunday, but didn't get anything major done until Monday. I got some dishes and laundry cleaned while making brownies for FHE that night, which turned out very good, thank you very much.

I had thought I'd have more time on Tuesday to finish up, but after receiving an email that day with an offer for free tickets to Curtains! at Hale Centre Theatre, I got a couple and took my sister Amy along. The play was great--a musical, murder mystery comedy. I got a kick out of the guy in the lead, he was perfect for it--so expressive, engaging, and not to mention attractive ;) It was also rather amusing to watch the crowd- Hale has a center stage, with seats all around. The people on the front rows across the way provided a nice side-plot--the family with a dad soo excited to be there that the teenage son (in a pink shirt...) finally got into it as well. The man who when one of the actresses was dancing in front of him watched her while occasionally shooting guilty glances in his wife's direction to see if she noticed and then later tried his best to avoid looking at the actress (hard, as she played one of the main characters, lol). Just off to my left on the front row was another, older man who, during the same dance kept staring at the actress in front of him. When she winked at him, his wife whipped around to glare at him suspiciously (or at least I would suppose, as I didn't actually see this part but Amy did).

I made it home sometime around 10:30 or so and set to cleaning up. It only took until...oh...2:30 or so. My laundry was put away, my movie shelves arranged, my dishes (while not clean) all moved to the kitchen, my table cleared off, a couple of pictures put up. I knelt to pray at the end of the night and got the impression that I needed to read my scriptures to help me through the next day. After a chapter of the Book of Helaman, I finally went to sleep sometime around 3:00.

I got up the next morning and made it to work. One of the first things I found was a virus on our main Retail register. I ended up having to trade that system with another register, which took about 20 minutes or so. We also had an event that day for which we got the check-in information a bit late, but fortunately I work with some very talented people who were able to work it out. I did however run up against several challenges of my own throughout the day. The Lord knew what He was saying when I was prompted to read the scriptures. For all I don't recall anything relating to what I went through, the spiritual boost was definitely needed. I was very happy to be on my way home.

Book club went well. Mom kindly baked my cookies for me, so that when I made it all I had to do was set up some extra chairs and put up a couple of signs. After everyone left, I enjoyed my clean living room and relished in the fact that I had the next day, today, off. I ended up falling asleep on the couch, despite the fact that no laundry covered my bed. Ah life. My neck is stiffer than ever, but at least I know better than to avoid going to the trouble of walking the 15 feet or so to my room :)

No comments: